The historic Orpheum Theater first opened in 1916 and was Chatham’s first and only cinema. It delighted local families and vacationers for decades until it closed down in 1987, eventually becoming a CVS pharmacy. Its loss was felt across the region.
When CVS moved in 2011, a local grass roots team created a non-profit to fund the purchase of the historic theater, which they achieved in 2012. The non-profit then focused on restoring the building, and today it houses a state-of-the-art movie theater showing first-run features, as well as art house and independent movies, documentaries, and works from local filmmakers.