Chatham Light, located on the grounds of Coast Guard Station Chatham, is one of the most popular Cape Cod lighthouses thanks to its beautiful setting overlooking Lighthouse Beach. This scenic beach, also known as South Beach, offers everything from sunbathing and swimming to yoga classes and nature walks.
The lighthouse was established in 1808, and President Thomas Jefferson appointed its first keeper, Samuel Nye. It was originally built with twin towers, but the Northern tower was moved to Eastham in 1923 to become Nauset Light. Chatham Light became automated in 1982 is still actively in use by the Coast Guard.